Common Counsel’s Grassroots Exchange Fund (GXF) is a rapid response small grants program designed to support networking and collaboration between grassroots social change organizations throughout the United States. GXF prioritizes grants to small community-based groups seeking to meet with other grassroots organizations, to build collaborative campaigns, and to benefit from organizing, training, and technical assistance opportunities.
The program strives to meet the following goals:
- To strengthen the ability of community organizations to participate in public debates. Examples include but are not limited to language translation and interpretation.
- To maximize the impact of community organizing through collaboration and learning across sector or issue areas.
- To contribute to collaborative policy and advocacy victories in the realms of social, environmental
and economic justice.
- To strengthen organizational infrastructure for digital and physical safety and security training in relationship to mass mobilizations and/or organizing.
A typical GXF grant is $1,000.
The first step in applying to the Grassroots Exchange Fund (GXF) is to ensure that your organization is a good fit for the GXF grant program.
Timeline & How to Apply
Starting in June 2021, GXF grants will be distributed on a monthly rolling cycle through November. Applications submitted by the first Monday of each month will be reviewed for consideration by the end of the month. Turnaround time for requests to be processed and reviewed by our grants committee is approximately 3-4 weeks from the deadline. GXF does not provide funds for events/exchanges that have already occurred. Therefore, please submit applications 3-4 weeks in advance of the application due date.
- Organizations must have 501(c)3 tax-exempt status or a 501(c)3 fiscal sponsor.
- Organizations must be under $1 million of annual expenses. Note: If you are fiscally sponsored, projects must be under $1 million of annual expenses.
- Organizations are only eligible for one GXF grant annually.
To apply, please review our Grassroots Exchange Fund Guidelines for information.