Native Voices Rising just launched its latest cycle for proposals, with a deadline of August 2, 2017. To learn more and find application information at the Native Voices Rising website.
Native Voices Rising provides a mechanism for donors to invest in organizations led by and composed of Native people who are united in building power to win progressive social change. Furthermore, NVR employs a community-led grantmaking approach with Native community members serving on regional committees that make grant recommendations.
Purposes of the collaboration include:
- Profiling Native-led community organizing and advocacy by identifying strong groups and highlighting issues of importance to them,
- Educating funders and deepening the contextual understanding of native community engagement within the philanthropic sector,
- Developing new funding support for Native-led social change groups that are engaging community members in taking collective action to improve their lives, including by impacting the rules that govern them,
- Providing the opportunity for funders to invest in Native-led organizing and advocacy efforts through a re-granting pool that conducts the due diligence on applicants on behalf of its funding partners, and
- Modeling a community-driven approach to funding that creates more power from the community within the grant making process.